School returns full-time after nearly a year

Carter Jones, Editor

Students return to full-time learning model. (Laney Turner)

Today was the first day back of full-time learning at Maize in almost a year. The Board of Education made the decision to go back to the full-time learning model and hopes to keep it that way for the rest of the school year.

Social studies teacher Jill Weber is excited to see her students every day without having to manage the organization of the hybrid system. She said that the transition to full-time learning is going to take a while, but she wants to make that transition as smooth as possible for students.

“I am beyond excited for the return of that symbol of normalcy,” Weber said. “I also recognize the concerns that students haven’t been in a classroom every day in almost a year.”

Weber mentioned the struggles of trying to find a system that worked for her students.

“It’s been really hard trying to figure out how to keep my style of teaching in a hybrid system,” Weber said. “I worked incredibly hard in the fall trying to do that. I think I had a decent system going but it was a lot of work.”

Weber said the remote model was difficult for her because of the dynamic she shares with her students.

“The reason I wanted to be a teacher is because of the kids,” Weber said. “I really look forward to getting to see the students every single day, and interact with them every single day, and develop that classroom environment that I crave.”

Weber thinks that the rest of the school year can be as normal as possible if people can adhere to the mask guidelines.

“The key to success in school right now is keeping out of quarantine,” she said. “My biggest concern academically for students is if they get quarantined.”

Senior Mitch Waggoner thinks that going back to school full time was not a safe decision.

“There is no room to social distance in classrooms, cafeteria, etc.,” Waggoner said.

He said he would like to see teachers do a better job at enforcing masks to be worn properly above the nose but said the school is doing its best.

“I think the school has done a good job doing what they can to ensure we are as safe as possible in this unfortunate situation,” Waggoner said.

Waggoner thinks that the model will remain constant for the rest of the year because of how much time is left in the year and because the Board of Education would face backlash from parents if they revert to a previous model.

“Thankfully schools have proven to be one of the safest places during this pandemic, so that’s reassuring,” he said.

Waggoner says his transition back to a normal school schedule is still a work in progress.

“I keep thinking that I won’t have school for two more days,” he said. “So it’ll be a struggle remembering and getting back into the habit of going five days.”