Teachers to receive first shot of COVID vaccination Wednesday

Maize+staff+members+will+get+their+first+dose+of+the+COVID-19+vaccine+Wednesday.+They+will+get+their+second+dose+during+spring+break.+

Reuters/Creative Commons

Maize staff members will get their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine Wednesday. They will get their second dose during spring break.

Ellie Stucky, Editor

Governor Laura Kelly announced a plan to allow vaccinations for Kansas school staff members with a goal to get students and staff back to school full time on Feb. 17. With almost 700 members signed up, the first round of COVID-19 vaccination shots will be available for the USD 266 staff on Wednesday. 

Vaccination sites will be in every school in the district with the exception of Complete High School and one site between Vermillion and Maize Elementary Schools. A site in the Transportation building will also be set up for bus drivers and Complete High School staff members.

Superintendent Chad Higgins says the goal of the vaccinations is to allow a feeling of safety and relief for staff and to allow the full-time in-person learning model to continue for the remainder of the school year. 

“The concern about starting full in-person this week was our ability to stay in that model,” Higgins said. “[…] I think it gives us every chance in the world to stay in the same learning model without having to go back to hybrid or surly remote.”

In preparation for possible negative side effects of the vaccination, the district is bringing in as many substitutes as they can hire for Thursday and Friday. Office staff is also prepared to step into the classroom if needed.

“I think teachers and school staff are pretty tough,” Higgins said. “[…] They don’t like to be sick. […] I think our staff will make it through any of the sick feelings they might get from that first shot.”

Staff who receive the first dose of the vaccine on Wednesday will be allowed the second shot during spring break.