Maize wrestlers head to regional

Isabelle Blasdel, Reporter

The Maize High wrestling team is ranked third in Kansas and is headed to regionals this weekend with the hopes of winning.

Sophomore Nakaylen Shabazz  is undefeated and placed second at state his freshman year.

“The thing I am most looking forward to is making the state finals but winning it this time,” Shabazz said.

To prepare for upcoming matches and state, Shabazz has been practicing nonstop.

“Training five to six days a week,” he said. “In the practice room and outside the practice room.”

Shabazz says his favorite part about wrestling is the team, who pushes him to be a better athlete.

“The team is my favorite,” he said. “We are all family pretty much.”

Shabazz is applying new things he has learned from matches last year into this year’s tournaments.

“I’m still improving and have something to get better on everyday,” he said.

Junior Keton Patterson started wrestling at the age of six and has wrestled all of his years in high school. Patterson says he is preparing for upcoming matches by practicing everyday.

“I prepare for upcoming matches by going on runs,” Patterson said. “Lifting and practicing daily.”

Patterson’s favorite thing about wrestling is the team atmosphere.

“My favorite part of wrestling is the teammates,” he said. “Most of them I have wrestled with since I was little.”

With regionals this weekend, Patterson says he is looking forward to the matches between high ranking wrestlers.

“I’m most looking forward to the big matches between ranked kids at regionals,” Patterson said.