Hands-on classes adjust to activities at home

Meredith Frahm, Reporter

After nine weeks of hybrid learning, students and staff had to make the transition to full remote learning. In most classes, teachers required their students to report via Zoom for a daily lesson. However, hands-on classes were a different story.

Teachers of classes such as culinary, engineering and fire science, just to name a few, had students come into the building on a set schedule to meet the curriculum requirements. Junior Lilly Koehn was taking culinary when the transition was implemented.

“When we were in person, we were able to do more complex recipes since we had groups and could multitask,” Koehn said. “We made things like soups, learned how to cook with beef, chicken and pork. Once we went remote, we learned things that were easier for one person to cook; frittatas, fries, and salads.”

Certain hands-on classes made it necessary to come into the building while others did not unless needed, like printmaking.

“The most challenging part [about going to remote learning with a hands-on class] was printing the projects,” senior Mary Rozner said. “I ended up having to go to the school for the last project that we did while remote so I could use the pressing machine.” 

Though the transition was difficult for students, learning departments helped them get into a routine.

“Mrs. Poole and the culinary department did a great job of making sure everybody could cook if they wanted to [while at home],” Koehn said. “They even offered to bring groceries if you couldn’t get to the store.”