Boys and girls basketball continue successful seasons

Junior+Kyla+Frenchers+cheers+on+her+teammates+during+the+fourth+quarter.+This+was+the+first+game+of+the+girls+varsity+season+due+to+quarantine.++

Junior Kyla Frenchers cheers on her teammates during the fourth quarter. This was the first game of the girls varsity season due to quarantine.

Brooklyn Blasdel, Editor

Both the boys and girls basketball teams are having a great season so far going into break. The boys team is 5-1, while the girls stand at a 1-0 record so far.

The girls team came out of quarantine strong, defeating district rival Maize South 51-31. Junior Kyla Frenchers was happy they came out with a win after not getting to play for so long.

“I think our defense was great that night,” she said. “I would credit a lot of that win to our defense. On top of that, we finished well at the rim and our free throw percentage was 80%”

After a 10 day quarantine, Frenchers said the team was definitely ready to get back to playing. Now with one game done, the girls are ready to take on the rest of their season.

“The quarantine felt like the longest 10 days of our lives,” she said. “But getting to […] practice was a great feeling. The energy in the gym was amazing. And then finally getting to play was even better. The team and I were so happy to be back and especially in a game like that. I was a lot of fun.”

The boys team has also had a strong season so far, only losing to Derby. Senior Jacob Hanna says if they continue to work hard and listen to each other, their season will continue to be successful.

“Us listening to the game plan and executing it definitely helped us beat Maize South,” he said, also giving credit to sophomore Avery Johnson and senior Kyle Haas. “We wanted to finish strong heading into the first Christmas break, so for us it was of the utmost importance to win that game.”

While the boys have a long break before they take on Haysville, they want to continue to improve and build off of their strengths.

“Definitely our biggest strength is our depth,” said Hanna. “We have eight guys who are legit varsity players and can contribute at the varsity level. It’s very hard to defend a team that has tons of really good players.”

While the boys won’t play again until Jan. 5., the girls will take on Derby tomorrow on the road.

“I’m very excited for the game against Derby,” Frenchers said. “That’s always a really fun and competitive game and the girls and I are ready for that battle!”