Elyce Pfeifer selected as new member on KSHSAA student advisory team

Lily Robison, Reporter

Robin Thornburg
Sophomore Elyce Pfeifer is a three-sport athlete in tennis soccer and basketball. She is also a member of StuCo and Business Professionals of America.

Sophomore Elyce Pfeifer was selected to be a new member on the Kansas State High School Activities Association [KSHSAA]  Student Advisory Team on April 9.

KSHSAA Assistant Executive Director Jeremy Holaday said Pfeifer stands out from the rest because she is involved in a variety of things.

“Elyce is in athletics and many other activities and clubs,” Holaday said. “She also expressed a desire to have an input on the decisions that KSHSAA makes.”

A few things go into being selected as a new member of the Student Advisory Team (SAT).

“I was nominated by Dr. Botts and then I had to fill out an application and essay asking what the benefits of being involved in extracurricular activities were,” Pfeifer said.

After, the board of KSHSAA look over the applications and vote for who they believe will be the best contribution to the team, Holaday said.

The SAT meets in our office twice a year to complete public relations tasks/projects and to discuss with our administrative staff proposals that have come from the schools,” Holaday said. “They provide input on how they believe it will affect students.”

In addition to the two meetings, the students are working with the apparel company to decide on the championship logo designs for t-shirts and branding. They also vote on the Spirit of Sport and Heart of the Arts awards given annually. Students that are able will also join the KSHSAA administration at the regional board meetings in October, Holaday said.

Pfeifer’s cousin Giles Frederickson, who is from the 6A region, was also selected to be on the team. Pfeifer was suprised because she didn’t know he was selected as a nominee and applied, but she is excited for the both of them.

Pfeifer feels honored for the recognition and is thrilled to be a voice for 5A schools.

“I believe this will provide a unique personal growth opportunity as well as a great way to meet other student athletes across the state,” Pfeifer said. “I am hoping to become a better leader and communicator while representing Maize and 5A.”