KAY club hosts Red Cross blood drive

Madi Hay and Rayne Rekoske, Reporter

Maize hosts its annual blood drive through the American Red Cross.

Maize will be hosting the Red Cross blood drive next Thursday. This will be located in the FEMA Shelter from 8:00 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Students started registering on Wednesday to donate their blood to save the lives of people in need. Registering for the blood drive will be open until Wednesday March 4.

KAY club sponsor Darcie Lowry said this is a great way for students to help others. 

“You are saving lives,” Lowry said. “It is just a great opportunity to volunteer in your community.” 

Each person who donates can save up to three lives. 

Junior Hannah Soderstrom said it doesn’t take much time or effort to donate. 

“It is the easiest thing you can do,” Soderstrom said. “You don’t have to spend any money, you don’t have to do anything super horrible. You are just taking twenty minutes out of your day and get out of class for free.”

Junior Grace Pastor attempted to donate for the fall blood drive, but was not able to finish. Pastor didn’t know what to expect her first time.

“It can be a little nerve wracking at first,” Pastor said. “Once you get in and they get you all set up the nerves just go away.”

Junior Briana Warner also tried to donate in the fall as well, but was discharged due to low iron.

Warner wants to prepare herself by eating and drinking healthier before donating.

“A week before I am going to eat foods that are really high in iron and drink a lot of water so that I can donate this time,” Warner said.

KAY club will also be allowing people to register the day of if there are spots available.