BPA students headed to nationals

Abby Turner, Social Media Editor

Late last week, students from the Business Professionals of America competed at regionals in various business-related events. Students who placed at regionals will be heading to nationals in Washington D.C. in May to compete for a national title.

Students that made it to Nationals are Hannah Baker, Amanda Branom, Paige Cannon, Kadyn Dohlman, Zoie Ecord, Elijah Gardner, Noah Hale, Emmalynn Kohl, Tina Leung, Bhavani Mahapatro, Abby McCoy, Rachel Meeker, Andrew Percival, Elyce Pfeifer, Anna Reimer, Aenya Richards, Aria Sheldon, Aiden Sheldon, Abbie Shurts, Ashley Valdez and Paige Youngdahl.   

“I am very proud,” BPA sponsor Dana Handy said. “They have to study and prepare projects on their own. It takes dedication, organization and good business, technology, and communication fundamentals in order to be successful in BPA. Their success is also a credit to the great teachers we have at Maize High School in other departments besides just business.”

Students can compete in a large selection of events such as interviews, technology, business tactics, presentations and much more.

“There are over 60 different business, technology and communication events for students to choose from,” Handy said. “These competitions help deepen their understanding of concepts which will translate to college or the work force. The communication events develop students’ ability to confidently articulate their thoughts to a judge, which will help them do the same in the future in a scholarship or employment interview. ”

Out of the events students can compete in a few, whether that be team or individual.

“I placed second with my team in Administrative Support Team event,” Aenya Richards said. “I competed in Advanced Interview skills and Administrative Support Team.”

Throughout BPA you are given many opportunies for the future as well as experience through the events you compete in.

“BPA members make connections with students and business professionals from across the U.S. as well as Puerto Rico,” Handy said. “They have the opportunity to operate the school store which becomes practical employment experience on their resumes. Those who place at Nationals win a $500 scholarship. Lastly, they have the opportunity to travel to exciting destinations. This year, we are going to Washington DC and next year we will be going to Disney World.”

As BPA goes to Washington D.C. this year, it will be many of the students first time going on a BPA trip for nationals but also some others second or third trip.

“I’ve gone to Nationals three years in a row now and I’ve been a National finalist in two events,” Richards said. “My favorite part of BPA is the nationals trip because you become friends with everyone on the trip and it is a really fun time. Mrs. Handy always makes time for us to do fun stuff along with competing.”

BPA is looking for members next year, if you would like to join or have questions see Mrs. Handy.

“Other people should join BPA because the people are great and you gain really important skills through the events you compete in,” Richards said. “Some of my favorite high school memories involve BPA and I highly recommend it.”