Kyle Haas commits to Oklahoma State

Junior+Kyle+Haas+Commits+to+Oklahoma+State+University.+He+will+be+walking+on+to+play+football+and+was+recruited+to+wrestle.+

Junior Kyle Haas Commits to Oklahoma State University. He will be walking on to play football and was recruited to wrestle.

Kyerra Snyder, Journalist

Junior Kyle Haas, one of the top high school wrestlers in the country, officially announced his commitment to wrestle at Oklahoma State University.

“OSU has always felt like home,” Haas said Sunday after announcing his decision on Twitter. “I’ve trained there since I was younger and always loved the school and coaching staff.”

Haas had many other offers from different schools, but this school was different. 

“It feels like family,” he said.

His brother, Tyler Caldwell, is on the OSU coaching staff. 

“Having my brother down there definitely had a pull,” Haas said. “It just makes the transition easier and I will always be around family.”

Haas said he is really excited to attend OSU and get down there and start wrestling.

“I am most excited to be a part of the team,” he said. “I love all the boys and have a really good relationship with John Smith [OSU wrestling coach].”

Along with wrestling he plans on playing football too. Haas is a linebacker on the Maize team that will play Northwest in the state semifinals Friday.

“I’m planning on walking on to play football,” he said. “There hasn’t been much communication with [OSU coach Mike] Gundy because I was recruited for another sport, but I will always have a spot to walk on.”

Haas won a state championship last season and finished third as a freshman. He has lost two matches in his high school career.

“I’m still going to go out this season and do what I know how to do,” Haas said. “Hopefully bring home another individual and team state title.”

With Haas being a junior it is an early commitment but he said he just knew.

“When you know you know,” Haas said. “There’s nowhere else I’d wanna be.”