New sidewalk to be added on 45th Street

Brooklyn Blasdel

Construction on the new sidewalk started last Monday. The sidewalk will run along 45th street all the way to Maize High.

Brooklyn Blasdel, Sports Editor

Brooklyn Blasdel

Construction has started on a new sidewalk that will be located on 45th Street and run next to Maize High. 

“It is going down 45th street on the north side of the road from Maize road to tie into your sidewalk at Maize High school,” Maize Public Works Director Ron Smothers said.

The city of Maize hopes that this sidewalk will help keep students who are walking to school much safer. The project will prevent students from walking right next to traffic by making the sidewalk further away from the road.

“I know it will increase student safety,” Smothers said. “As well as everybody else’s safety”

Before students would have to walk on the grass along the side of the road, which created multiple problems. Freshman Dionna Payne walk to school about once a week, and hopes this will help with the safety and cleanliness of the space where students walk to school.

“I think it helps if you’re wearing sandals, and like if the grass is wet you get grass all over you,” freshman Dionna Payne said. “And you don’t have to be super close to the road where cars go by.”