Focusing on now

Chasley Garcia decides to not dwell on the past or worry about the future, and look into the present.

Chasley Garcia, Reporter

Chasley Garcia looks out over the Grand Canyon. Garcia decides to not dwell on the past or worry about the future, and look into the present. 

The definition of mindfulness is a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment. I have trouble being mindful.

Do you ever stress about your future or fret about your past? I do, all the time. At least once a day. This is a big problem in my life, I spend too much time worrying about the future and past and too little time thinking about the now. I stress about my future college degree, my future job, my future family, the list goes on and on. This is normal for teens to worry about what they are going to do with their lives, but we also need to start thinking about life right now. We may be missing out on good opportunities by contemplating our futures.

Some kids may have their future all figured out in their minds, but it could change completely. I, for one, have no idea what I am going to do when I graduate high school. Will I go into the medical field, become a writer, or maybe even a teacher? I have no idea. Spending so much time worrying about the future can make me miss out on now. I should be focusing on keeping up my grades and spending time with my friends and family and enjoying my experiences in the present. I am not saying to not ever think about your future but maybe spending a little less time doing so.

Along with worrying about the future, I worry about the past. I rethink conversations I’ve had, thinking, “why did I say that?” and worrying about what I should’ve done or said. I fret over the past and worry about the future, I’m human. But, I am working on living in the moment, and being present and active in my life right now. I often become wrapped up in my thoughts about the future and past that I forget to experience and enjoy now. From here on out I am trying to live more in the present and thinking less about the past and future.

I will fail often, but as long as I am trying I know I will be more focused on now. Mindfulness can bring joy and help you manage your own feelings and mental health.

“The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness” Jon Kabat-Zinn, creator of Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, said.