Winter homecoming full of activities

Lily Robison, Reporter

Due to the home basketball game schedule, StuCo has set homecoming week to start on Tuesday, Feb. 5 and go into the next week, ending on Tuesday, Feb. 12.

“The basketball games didn’t have both girls and boys games on the same night, so we had to switch the schedule a little bit,” senior secretary Allison Linton said.

StuCo started advertising homecoming week, “There’s No Place Like Homecoming,” on their Instagram account @maizehighstuco. Students can post pictures of themselves and their friends in homecoming week attire with the hashtag #mhswinterhoco2019 and tag them @maizehighstuco to have a chance to win free tickets to the dance. They will post the pictures you send them and which ever picture has the most likes will win the tickets. There will be one winner each day leading up to the dance, which will be held Feb. 9 from 8 to 11 pm. Tickets to the dance cost $5 at lunch or $7 at the door.

There will be many activities students can participate in throughout homecoming week.

This year, daily Encor activities will be introduced to the homecoming schedule. These include a rock-paper-scissors tournament, a homecoming candidate press conference and a Jersey Auction.

“The Jersey Action is a fundraiser to auction off the senior boys’ and girls’ basketball jerseys,” senior president Alaina Cunningham said. “It costs $1 for an entrance and they perform skits for the audience. Then Mr. Loving auctions off the jerseys of each player and the student with the highest bid ‘wins’ their away jersey for the game on Tuesday.”

Aside from the dance, homecoming’s biggest event will be Buff Puff and the COTY Olympics, held Wednesday, Feb. 6 from 6 to 9 pm. The COTY Olympics is an event where there are several games worth COTY points such as coordination ball, the Blazing Wings Challenge, bingo, movie trivia, knockout, a cake walk, and more.

“The Buff Puff is boys volleyball,” Cunningham said. “They are put into teams and compete for the championship. The girls volleyball team sign up to ref and coach the boys.”

Linton said she hopes there will be a good turnout for homecoming week with the new additions and changes.

“I think our spirit days this time around are really fun and exciting, especially with the fun play on words since we matched every day to something with ‘Wizard of Oz,’” she said.