Former teacher sentenced to probation

Maddie Neigenfind, Features Editor

After pleading guilty to two counts of unlawful sexual relations with a minor in December, former teacher Johnny Yelverton was sentenced to 36 months of probation Wednesday.

Both charges carried an underlying sentence of 31 to 136 months in prison.

While on probation, Yelverton must obtain a mental health evaluation. He must also maintain a full-time job and register as a sex offender in the state of Kansas.

In Yelverton’s statement to the court, he addressed his feelings of guilt.

“I let down my own family,” he said. “I let down my students that had become my family.” Yelverton also wished to apologize to all his students.

During sentencing, Sedgwick County District Court Judge Bruce Brown was presented with letters written by Yelverton’s ex-wife and son.

The victim refused her right to appear in court as well as her right to present a letter to the judge.

Yelverton was arrested in May after he was suspected of having a relationship with a student. He was 44 at the time of his arrest. The student was 17.

He originally was charged with six counts of unlawful sexual relations with a minor and one count of failure to report suspected child abuse. The other charges were dropped as part of his plea agreement.

Yelverton was in his second year with the school district. A former police officer, he taught law enforcement and fire science at Maize Career Academy.