KAY Club holds annual blood drive

Abby Turner, Reporter

Abby Turner
Students giving blood to the Red Cross for the blood drive.

Every year, KAY Club (Kansas Association of the Youth) holds an annual Blood Drive with the American Red Cross. Students are given the opportunity to give blood to help people in need of blood. Approximately, one person giving blood can save three lives.

“Giving blood is important because a lot of people need it for different procedures at the hospital. Whether that be blood transfusions, for surgery or any other reason.” Nicole Dowell, president of KAY Club, said. “One person giving blood can save multiple lives. Being able to help saves lives just makes you feel good and is an amazing thing to do.”

The American Red Cross gives KAY club scholarships to give out to students for participating in this event every year. Each scholarship is 250 to 500 dollars. KAY is able to give about two of those out every year.

“It is a tradition for KAY club to hold the Blood Drive, they have done it for a long time at this school, before I even became the sponsor,” Dan Loving, sponsor of KAY Club, said. “I hope that tradition continues for long after I leave too.”

This year, 60 students signed up to give blood and there was a low rate of people who didn’t show up or could no longer give blood.

The next blood drive will be in the spring. It will be held at Maize and hosted by KAY Club again. If you are interested in giving blood or learning more about how this helps save lives please visit: https://www.redcross.org/give-blood.html