Junior Julian Shamasko injured in car accident, students help out

Janeth Saenz, Reporter

Photo submission: Julian Shamasko
Shamasko has a broken nose, busted lip and a broken femur from his accident on Sept. 20.

Junior Julian Shamasko got into a car accident on his way to school on Sept. 20. Another student, junior Hannah Fullerton, was with him at the time of the accident.

“We were planning on going to get Starbucks and I woke up late,” Fullerton said. “We were going to drive together, but since I was running late I let him drive in front of me.”

The bright sun didn’t allow Shamasko to see a stopped SUV in front of him. The front of Julian’s car went under the SUV. Fullerton immediately called the police as she witnessed the accident.

“The sun was so bright that morning as we approached school,” Fullerton said. “I heard loud noises and saw he had smashed into someone else. I jumped out and ran to him. His door was open and I thought he was OK until I heard him start screaming. I immediately ran to my car to grab my phone to call the police.”

Fullerton said that if she wouldn’t have slammed on her breaks, she would of hit him too.

This accident left Shamasko with a broken nose, busted lip and a broken femur. He had a metal rod with screws put into his femur during surgery. 

A fundraiser for Shamasko was started on GoFundMe by Julian’s cousin, Isabella Rodriguez.

“I wasn’t trying to fundraise at all, but my cousin started it,” he said. “I didn’t know how much she was trying to fundraise”.

Students and teachers have helped and supported Julian in many ways.

“Coach Guzman brought me a football helmet with all the players signature” he said. “Fullerton brought me food and helped me out a lot, Brayden Castillo brought me a poster from my class, Kasidy Bell also brought me a vanilla shake. They came to the hospital to see me and brought me food. They also donated to the GoFundMe that my cousin started.”

The school has also started a fundraising project. Students can pay one dollar to wear a hat to school on Oct. 8. All proceeds will go towards supporting Shamasko and his family. 

“The effects that this has had on me is not just the uneasy feeling I have when I drive, but made me realize the true important of who I care about,” Fullerton said “Always wear your seat belt, stay off your phone, drive with the understanding that you have to be watchful constantly and never take your life for granted.”

Fullerton said that she thinks it’s great the school is showing their support.

I think this shows how we come together as a family and support each other,” she said. “You don’t have to help out big to make a difference and the fact that Maize is willing to show they care means a lot. I know this will mean a lot from his family as well”.