Miyah McGrown wins $500 scholarship from SAFE

Jordan Wontorski, Reporter

Photo submission: Dana Desjardins
Miyah McGrown receives $500 scholarship.

Senior Miyah McGrown won a $500 scholarship at a Traffic and Safety conference this Wednesday. McGrown, who has been going to the annual conference since she joined SAFE, said she was very enthusiastic about the scholarship opportunity.

“I really wanted to win,” McGrown said. “I’ve been going to the traffic safety conferences for three years now, three full years of safe, so I was so excited to be getting it.”

The scholarship was funded by Modern Family star Eric Stonestreet. SAFE sponsor Dana Desjardins said that he is passionate about the driving message and advocates for change in the world starting behind the wheel.

“He’s very passionate about the driving message,” Desjardins said. “Don’t text and drive, wear your seat belt, don’t drive drunk. He’s always given us money because he believes in students changing the world.”

The students has opportunities for a couple different financial award scholarships with $500 being the highest you could win. The money is able to be used for books, supply expenses, or general college tuition.

“I got a scholarship for SAFE last year, but this was the first big one.” McGrown said. “It feels like I’m finally getting somewhere for school in the future.”

Desjardins says she thinks Miyah deserved this scholarship after all of her devotion toward SAFE.

“[Miyah] has been a huge advocate for SAFE, trying to spread the message,” Desjardins said. “This is her fourth year with SAFE. She’s really earned it.”

McGrown said she is definitely going to apply for more scholarships and that she thinks students should apply for them more often because you never know when you might win.