Maize gives personal Chromebooks to students

Janeth Saenz, Reporter

This school year, Maize students got the chance to take Chromebooks home for the first time. The students will use the Chromebooks in and out of school for homework, projects and any other school work.

Suzanne McKaig, an English teacher, was a member of the committee for the approval of Chromebooks. She said the committee intended for students to have easier access to technology.

“The goal in mind was to have equal access for all students to technology,” she said. “Besides having equal access to learning with the Chromebook, the students will also be able to learn the responsibilities that go along with using the internet.”

The Chromebooks came with a charger and a case for each student. Each case costs $13.99, and each Chromebooks is $165 apiece. The money the district spent overall for the deployment of Chromebooks was $446,930. Students are responsible for their Chromebooks and will have to pay the school for any damage done to them.

“Each year when a student comes back to school they will have the same Chromebook as they did before,” McKaig said. “After four years, they [freshmen] will have the opportunity to purchase that Chromebook at a reduced rate.”

Junior Kylie Luethje said she might not need it as much as other students, but she thinks it will be beneficial for the majority of students.

“I don’t really use my Chromebook during class,” she said. “I still think it was a good idea because a lot of kids might not have access to it.”

McKaig said she believes the school has reacted positively to the addition of Chromebooks.

“There’s been no indication of any negative feedback from the teachers, students or from administration,” she said.

McKaig said introducing the Chromebooks to high schools is just the beginning. She believes the district has thoroughly researched the advantages and disadvantages of Chromebook use in the classroom.

“We have introduced the Chromebooks now in the high schools, the next step would be to introduce them into the middle schools,”  McKaig said. “Then eventually introducing them into the elementary grades. It’s been a two year process that we’ve gone through.”