KAY club puts on annual Deck the Halls food drive

Emma Wituk, Reporter

For the last two years Maize High KAY Club has hosted the Deck the Halls food drive. During the week of Deck the Halls students at Maize donate food to line the halls of school with. This year the food collected will be donated to Maslow’s closet and the Kansas food bank.

“Kay arranges the food drive in order to help out the community and get the school involved in a service project,” senior Nicole Dowell said.

The drive started on Monday, December 11th. On this day students can begin to bring food items and money to the KAY Club tables located around the school. Every two cans or one dollar can be exchanged for one ticket.

Some teachers offer incentives, such as extra credit, for the tickets to help increase the number of cans and money donated. This year the two teachers with the most tickets at the end of the week will get to choose an item from the Under Armour catalog and principal Chris Botts will pay for it.

“I understand that a lot of teachers are offering incentives because we asked them to,” said Dowell. “But there is more to the food drive than extra credit.”

Last year KAY club’s goal was to exceed the amount they had collected from the year before. The club did ended up exceeding the previous amount and in total collected eight thousand pounds of canned food. This year the club’s goal is once again to exceed the amount collected from the previous year.

“This year, I hope a lot of people get involved with Deck the Halls and donate items for those in need,” Dowell said. “Giving to those in need makes a big difference in the community, whether it’s visible or not.”

Other schools around the district have recently participated in the Caring Hearts Food drive. Similar to the Deck the Halls drive at Maize. Students at the participating schools bring in food to be donated to those need. Members of Maize’s chapter or Nation Honors Society, along with students from other Maize schools, had the opportunity to help pick up, sort and box the food collected by the Maize schools.

“My favorite part of is getting to see the abundance of items pour onto our tables in the morning, ” Dowell said. “Then getting to transport all the cans to the hallways. It just makes my heart happy.”