Debate team to compete out of state

McKenna Smiley, Reporter

Debate students discussing during class.

The Debate team is going out of state to Iowa; Friday-Tuesday for an out of state for policy debate.

This is the first time that the team is going out of state, besides national, in the 11 years that Curtis Shepard has been teaching debate at Maize.

The team hasn’t be out of state in years, due to the expense and determination it requires.

During their time in Iowa the team will be debating about education and its policies. 

The team will go through 6 rounds, if they break, they will go to out-rounds. Out-rounds are the rounds where only the top teams will take part.

Junior, Hannah Piros is a student in Debate that will be attending this policy debate.

“I think debating about things that older Debate teams will debate about gives me more confidence in myself and what I do,” said Piros.

The Debate team, taught by the Debate and Forensics teacher, Curtis Shepard, will be taking  four people to this Debate, including Hannah Piros, Hayley Tice, Connor Mitchell, and Brynnanese Nelson. 

This is this group’s, first out of state policy debate.

“Its nerve racking,” said Mitchell.“but I’m excited we get this experience.”

Prios said as the team gets closer to time, they reflect on why they do debate, and how much opportunities like this, mean to them.

“Debate has helped me grow as a person,” she said.”It made me become more confident in myself.”