Finding you

Lizzie Bell, Photo Editor

In high school there is no such thing as being in love, or loving someone and wanting to be with them for the rest of your life.

At least that’s what everyone will tell you. No one wants to believe that two 17-year-olds have love more figured out at such a young age than they did.
As a child I was fascinated, just like everyone else, at the thought of having the selfless hero that showed on millions of TV’s across the world.

But my life was full of seeing relationships and love fail. I witnessed or sometimes experienced love fail time and time again. I didn’t know what to believe, but then every doubt that I once had about love soon drifted away, drowned in the deep ocean, and found a place far far away to stay.
He came out of nowhere, someone I walked past in the crowded hallways for two years. Someone whose name I heard time and again, but never knew who the true person was behind it. Our worlds collided and exploded into something bigger than I would of imagined.

I grew up witnessing long nights filled with arguments that lead into short mornings filled with wordless goodbyes.

And then he showed up, and I found long nights filled with random conversations that last what feels like two minutes, but is really three hours. I found someone who lets me sing at the top of my lungs to the song I like, even when they don’t. Then come back a week later knowing the lyrics to the song they “hated” just because it reminded him of me. I found someone who loves my family as much as I did and treats everyone with nothing but respect. I found someone whose smile makes me smile, whose laugh makes me laugh, and who makes me happier than I ever thought was possible. I found someone even better than the movies showed over and over again. I found someone who I fell in love with.

But wait, it’s only been six months, and we are in high school, there is no way that I could already be in love.

Trust me when I say I have thought about it a lot, because I was always taught that high school sweethearts aren’t real, you have to be a certain age to fall in love, and every guy is no good.

But when you stray away from those negative thoughts, you might just happen to find one of the greatest blessings to ever happen in your life just like I did.
And if in 10 years we aren’t together, I will still tell you that I was in love with him, because in this moment I am.