Dozens show up to protest relocation of special ed program

Savie Hughes, Online Editor

Dennis Sanders speaks at the board meeting about the relocation of the Functional Applied Academics program. The board will officially address the issue at the next meeting, at 7 p.m. on Jan. 10.

Dozens of students and parents packed the school board meeting Monday to protest the proposed move of a special education program to Maize South.

Some people had to stand in the hallway to listen as 11 people addressed the board to express dismay over the planned relocation of the Functional Applied Academics program.

“You would never consider putting this race in this school and that race in that school because it would be an enormous lawsuit,” parent Laura Matthews said. “Yet, tell me how this is not the same thing with a different group of people?”

The school board did not come to a conclusion about transferring the FAA students from Maize to Maize South. The issue wasn’t on the agenda and was brought up during visitor comments.

“I’m vaguely aware of the situation but not to the depth we learned tonight,” board member Scott Crawford said.

Board president Matt Jensby said the issue will be put on the agenda to be talked about at the next board meeting, at 7 p.m. on Jan. 10.

Parents of students in the FAA program learned of the proposed move when they received a letter from the district around Thanksgiving.

“Me and my wife were shocked by the news of the relocation of this program, which came in a letter that was weakly worded like a memo,” parent Mike Miller said. “After reading that letter we did not understand the unilateral decision, which could have such a negative impact on the children and the others at Maize High.”

Maize South is being expanded to accommodate some special education programs. The expansion is part of the bond project.

“We are all about inclusion and the least restrictive environment for these kids, but a wing is being built,” parent Cassandra Sines said. “Why are we not looking at including these kids? Why are we putting them in a wing? That is my fear.”

Students in the FAA program have been diagnosed with a cognitive disability, traumatic brain injury, other health impairment or some combination of disabilities that limit their ability in general education classrooms without significant modifications.

Dennis Sanders, an FAA student, told the board he wants to stay at Maize.

“I’d like to say this is not fair,” he said. “This is like segregation.”  

Juniors Garrison Norris, Jadyn Landreth and Matthew Melchor pleaded with the board to rethink the plan. They are members of Friendship Club, a group of students who support and mentor the FAA students.

“To see them get turned away from what they know and what they have gotten used to over these years, I think it’s just an injustice to them.”

— Garrison Norris

“To see them get turned away from what they know and what they have gotten used to over these years, I think it’s just an injustice to them.”,” Norris said.

Melchor, the club president, said Friendship Club started a decade ago with five members. This year, 130 students belong. More than 30 students attended the meeting.

“This is not something that can be built overnight or over a year or two,” Melchor said. “It took us 10 years to do that.”

Pat Leon was the first person to address the board. Her son, Chris, is Maize graduate and was part of the FAA program.

“The only good to come out of this proposal is seeing that tradition never graduates,” she said. “These current Maize High School Eagles are still looking out for their special needs friends, and they are even standing up tall for them. In light of all the bullying going on today, you should be proud of their response, because I know I am. And you should be proud to keep that program in the building.”