Q&A: The Cast of All The World’s a Stage

Find out how the planning and the behind the scenes work has been going for both the teacher and actors of Ms. Heinrich’s 2nd Block Fundamentals of Drama class.

Rehearsing for the last day, Sarah Tucker, 09, practices her heart out to help her fellow actors enter through their entrances, exits, and cues.

Angelo Silva, Bullseye Photo Editor

Putting emotion and movement in his monologue, Nash Wofford, 11, rehearses one last time through his part before the big day.

Directing a play of a cast less than 10 actors is one thing, directing a cast full of over 20 students is an entirely different story. This year, first year drama teacher Micaela Heinrich chose to do the adaptation of Shakespeares’ greatest works in the play, “All The World’s A Stage”, a play that consist of almost every famous Shakespearean Play, with a few other less popular plays.

This is not Heinrich’s first play as a first year teacher at Maize South, just earlier this semester, she, alongside choir teacher Bryan Miller, directed the musical “The Fantasticks.” Now she takes on a new role with her students. We at the Bullseye decided to interview her about the 2nd Block showing.

But don’t take her word for it, alongside the director are great actors and choosing two to interview was a challenge, but nevertheless I caught up with two of the show’s “leading” actors to ask them about the play and how this year has been for them.

Earlier this year, Sarah Tucker, a freshman at Maize South, also joined “The Fantasticks” crew, now she’s taken a role in the play coming this Wednesday, December 18.

Micaela Heinrich, Theatre/Drama Teacher

Q: How exciting is it to direct another play in less than six months at the school?

A: SO exciting — especially with this fun group of students. I’ve never directed Shakespeare before, and it’s a wonderful challenge.

Q: What has been the hardest thing about this play so far?

A: Probably the language–students in 2019 aren’t accustomed to the English of the late 1500s, so we have to figure out how to “translate” it so that it makes sense to us.

Q: All of the people in the play are in your second hour class, is it easier or harder?

A: I would say that in a way it’s harder, because many people in my second hour have never been in a theatrical production before. However, this has made it such a great experience–because regardless of their past theatrical experience (or lack thereof), they have shown great enthusiasm and camaraderie in putting on this production!

Q: What are the parts that you hope catches the audience? Any specific characters you hope might stand out than the rest?

A: I hope that the audience feels that they have learned something more about Shakespeare and that they see the humor and tragedy and innovation in his plays.

Q: Was the process of giving the fellow actors their parts hard?

A: It always is! I know, as a former actor, that you read a lot into what part you’ve been given. However, I did my best to challenge some students and give people the “size” of role that they asked for.

Q: Was there any trouble with rehearsing, assuming that this is a big cast, it must be easy to get side tracked. What are some tactics you took to reel them in again?

A: I’m famous in second block for “Eyes on me in 5-4-3-2-1!” Students who are more creative-brained can have trouble focusing, but I think that it’s the desire to do a good job on the show that naturally reels people back in, for the most part.

Q: Any words of advice for students that are seeking to do drama/theatre in the future?

A: TRY IT! I think you’ll love it. Even if you don’t stick with it as a career, the friendships you will make will last a lifetime (I know mine have!).

Q: Lastly, there is a play later this year in the Spring, what are you hoping you could get from that play? Any big plans that we expect from you this year?

A: Yes! Auditions for Our Town are the first week that we get back for spring semester. I hope lots of students audition! This play is a wonderful, beautiful story about life that will bring warmth to your heart. It’s an unforgettable, classic show.

Sarah Tucker, Freshman

Q: Your first play this year was a small role as a mute on the Fantasticks, how does it feel to have a bigger role on this show?

A: It feels great! I really enjoyed the cast and crew of Fantasticks and it was [a] good first step in the door. I can’t wait to do more shows at Maize South!

Q: How does it feel to be a freshman and already have roles like this come in for you?

A: I’ve done theatre my whole life so I have a lot of experience. I’m just glad to have the opportunity to use that experience in new situations like this.

Q: Do you plan on auditioning for the play this coming Spring?

A: I’m not sure right now. There are a few different shows I am considering right now.

Q: How did this audition differ from the first audition early this year?

A: It wasn’t much different but I will say it was less nerve wrecking. The first audition I didn’t know anybody else auditioning and j barely knew the directors. The second go around I was more comfortable with the people around me and also myself. Before i had just started going to high school here in Wichita and was really shy. But drama class has really let me be the Old Sarah again.

Q: How has theatre impacted your life?

A: Theatre has been a part of my life since before I was born. Drama was the reason my parents met and had me and I’ve grown up with it my whole life. It has shaped my entire life is so many ways. Everything I’ve ever done and every decision I make is based off this passion.

Q: What got you into theatre in the first place?

A: Like I said before, my parents met because of it in high school. My whole family has always been very into musicals and theatre so I simply grew up with it and they have always been there to support me and help me pursue it.

Q: Are you involved in other plays?

A: Yes! This past weekend if December I finished Les Miserables at The Mary Jane Teall Theatre at Century 2 for Music Theatre for Young People.

Q: How do you keep up with so many plays and school work?

A: It’s been really hard. I used to only do shows in the summertime and commercials and all during school. But in the last 4 years I’ve done theatre year around and at first was a struggle but I got the hang of it. 

Q: Any words of advice for students or classmates that may be seeking theatre/drama?

A: Just go out there and do it. Even if you haven’t had any experience theatre can be so fun and you can learn so much! You will meet amazing people in the theatre community and learn about life in general. 

Q: Lastly, what are some warms ups you do/any superstitions you follow in order to avoid bad luck on the big day?

A: Right before an audition I get super quiet. And then afterwards I get super crazy and I’m not really why. Before a performance, I always have to use the bathroom extremely bad until the moment I get onstage I’m all better. All the nerves go away when the lights hit me because The stage is really my home. And I know that sounds cheesy but no matter where I go I find a stage and I know I’m safe and I can me even if I’m acting like someone else. One really weird superstition I have is not touching doorknobs during tech week or before an audition. I don’t know where I got that from but I’ve always done it!

Another student I interviewed was Maize South Junior, Nash Wofford on his experiences so far and his role in the play.

Nash Wofford, Junior

Q: Is this your first play ever?

A: Yes this is my first play, it has been a very fun and challenging experience.

Q: How have you rehearsed for this play?

A: We usually go through the entirety of the play every day in class.

Q: Any specific methods you found that were easier to do?

A: I would say trying to really try and think like the character you are portraying 

Q: Would you recommend these methods to beginning actors hoping to land a big part?

A: Yes for sure, I am a beginner actor so any beginner could do it.

Q: Do you see yourself going out for the play in the Spring.

A: No unfortunately I can’t, because of sports obligations

Q: How does it feel to have such a big part along with many other of your actors?

A: Well I feel honored, all of my fellow classmates/actors are very talented. 

Q: How has theatre impacted your life?

A: My theatre experience has affected my life by making me more perceptive of watching actors and their performances

A: What first got me into theatre was the love of watching plays and musicals. Also have always loved the idea of acting

Q: Are you involved in other plays?

A: No I am not, but I suppose yes this would open up opportunities for me. When the right opportunity arises I’ll have some experience under my belt

A: Do not be afraid or embarrassed to really go for things. No one will judge you and if they do, that’s their problem.

A: Well, I usually drink some hot tea, so my throat is clear but that’s about it!