Trio of goalies lead boys’ soccer to perfect record through first ten games of the season

Photo by Maize South yearbook

Senior Ethan Wiens, sophomore Payton Simon and freshmen Andrew Cole have all received playing time at goalie for the Mavericks this season.

Sydney Endicott, Bullseye staff reporter

While most freshmen are playing JV soccer or C-team, Andrew Cole has been forced to step up for the Mavericks soccer team and is officially the 2nd option for goalie late in the soccer season for the undefeated Mavericks team.

Cole, being one of three goalies, is the only goalie for the Mavericks who has been able to completely stay away from the injury bug. Sophomore Payton Simon and Senior Ethan Weins haven’t been as lucky.

Their nagging injuries during the 2019 season range from a broken arm to an injured knee. Weins has been affected by his inability to play because of his knee injury that has forced him out of several games as the head goalie for the Mavericks.

“Getting hurt has affected me by not being able to play for three to four weeks,” said Weins.

Upon Weins’ injury, Simon was forced to start for the Mavericks. While Simon was playing his last game, he dove to guard the goal and landed wrong on his arm. 

“At the game I dove to get the ball and fell wrong on my arm and broke it, so I am out the rest of the season,” said Simon.

When Simon fell to the injury, Cole was forced into action as the backup goalie for Weins on the varsity squad. While he didn’t actually get to start the game, Cole did play in the second half against Valley Center this week, where he didn’t allow a single goal in the 6-0 shutout victory.

¨It was a great experience for me and I really enjoy playing soccer with my teammates,” said Cole.