Maize’s season ends as Liberal advances to 5A state tournament

Nick Springer, Reporter

Emotions boiled over as the Liberal Redskins prevailed over the Maize Eagles 61-55 to advance to the state tournament on Friday night at the Big House in Liberal. The intensity of the game picked up late as Liberal rallied from a six point halftime deficit.

Maize jumped out to an early lead, benefiting from four first half threes by junior Grant Bugbee. Freshman Caleb Grill joined in contributing two threes as well. Maize struggled to box out on the defensive end allowing Liberal to get a number of second-chance opportunities. Both teams were frustrated with a number of calls by the referees in the game.

Trailing by nine late in the third quarter, Liberal’s Tim Fitzgerald provided just the spark the Redskins needed. Fitzgerald hit a critical three, and then followed it up with a layup to draw Liberal within four heading into the final quarter.

Liberal carried their third quarter momentum into the fourth, as the crowd sensed the shift in energy. Maize entered a shooting slump, and they continued to struggle on the boards. Both teams elevated their already aggressive play, and it almost turned ugly. Fitzgerald shoved Maize sophomore Dayln Johnson on an inbounds play, and the officials issued a warning to him. Late in the game with Maize trailing by two points, Bugbee was whistled for a technical foul. Liberal missed three of four free throws, giving life back to the Eagles. A steal and a layup by the Redskins electrified the crowd. In a confusing sequence, Grill picked up a flagrant foul, allowing Liberal to retain possession of the ball.

The Redskins secured the victory, and eliminated Maize, ending their season. It was a bitter end for Maize’s six seniors, who played their final game in a Maize uniform. The Eagles go out with a 14-8 record, and the AVCTL title. Liberal will advance to the 5A state tournament in Topeka.