School spirit fuels long-time Maize announcer
Hailey Blurton, Ava Doyle, Areyonna Hoover, and Emma WilksApril 18, 2024

In showcasing school spirit, attending social events and rallying support for peers are key components. Media instructor Dan Loving exemplifies this by lending his voice to...

Eagles maul Goddard 54-12

The Eagles rebounded from their first loss of the season, defeating Goddard 54-12 Friday night.

“It meant a lot as a team,” senior Chase White said.

The Eagles improved to 3-1 with the victory.

White rushed for a school-record 399 yards and scored five touchdowns, giving him 11 for the season. He tied a school record last season with 14 touchdowns.

White started the scoring with a touchdown with 9:36 left in the first quarter. He added another touchdown later in the quarter, as the Eagles took a 14-0 lead.

The first quarter-scoring wasn’t over yet. Junior quarterback Connor Lungwitz completed a short pass to junior receiver Kendall Stewart, who took it 84 yards for a touchdown to make the score 21-0 with 1:15 still to play in the first quarter.

Lungwitz added another touchdown pass late in the first half, connecting with senior Tevin Davis to make the score 35-0 at halftime.

White added two more long touchdowns in the second half, scoring on runs of 80 and 75 yards on the Eagles’ only offensive plays in the third quarter. The Eagles led 47-0 after three quarters.

With the second string in for the fourth quarter, Aaron Chansombath scored the only Eagle touchdown of the quarter to extend it 54-0.

The Eagles’ next game is 7 p.m. Thursday at Salina Central.