School spirit fuels long-time Maize announcer
Hailey Blurton, Ava Doyle, Areyonna Hoover, and Emma WilksApril 18, 2024

In showcasing school spirit, attending social events and rallying support for peers are key components. Media instructor Dan Loving exemplifies this by lending his voice to...

Moon wins Maize’s first state wrestling title since 2009

The official raises Brett Moon's arm after Moon completed an undefeated season Saturday at Hartman Arena. Moon went the entire season without being taken down or reversed. Photo by Lyndsey Piska.
    The official raises Brett Moon’s arm after Moon completed an undefeated season Saturday at Hartman Arena. Moon went the entire season without being taken down or reversed. Photo by Lyndsey Piska.

Wrestler Brett Moon finished off a perfect season Saturday, winning Maize’s first state championship since 2009.

Moon, a junior, finished his season with a 49-0 record. While remaining undefeated all season is no easy feat, Moon also managed to end the season without giving up a single takedown or reversal.

“I feel pretty accomplished,” Moon said. “It felt like a normal tournament; I wrestled him the week before.”

To prepare for the match, Moon has different methods than most other wrestlers. In order to get “hype” or prepared for upcoming matches, athletes rely on music to get them focused. Moon prefers to warm up without it.

Most wrestlers dream of taking home a state title and celebrate by jumping into their coach’s arms, hooping and hollering or even doing a backflip.

Not Moon.

As the ref took his hand and paraded him around the mat as the new reigning 6A state champ, Moon didn’t show any emotion. He simply let out a quick smile and walked off the mat. Instead, Moon celebrated afterward with close friend and wrestling partner Alex Hydock.

“After state I went to Alex Hydock’s house, and in the morning his mom made chocolate chip waffles,” Moon said. “It’s kind of a tradition that after state we have chocolate chip waffles.”

“We have been wrestling together since third grade” Hydock said.

In an interview after winning state, Moon gave credit to Hydock for helping win his state title.

“That’s just the kind of guy that Brett is, he always puts someone else in front of himself,” Hydock said. “It feels pretty good to see him win a state title.”

Other wrestlers to place are senior Devon Baker in sixth at 195 and junior Cole Moses in fourth at 145.

Junior Brett Moon walks off the mat after winning the 6A state title for the weight class 160.

Junior Brett Moon walks off the mat after winning the 6A state title for the 160-pound weight class. Moon finished his season undefeated with the record 49-0 and didn’t give up a single take down or reversal all season. Photo by Kalee Betzen.