School spirit fuels long-time Maize announcer
Hailey Blurton, Ava Doyle, Areyonna Hoover, and Emma WilksApril 18, 2024

In showcasing school spirit, attending social events and rallying support for peers are key components. Media instructor Dan Loving exemplifies this by lending his voice to...

Boys swimming wins AVCTL meet

IMG_0143 edited
    The boys swim team won the AVCTL meet for the sixth time Feb. 14.

Boys swimming won the AVCTL championship meet with a total of 371 points.

Individually, junior Preston Barley won the 200 medley and the 500 freestyle, junior Harrison Shively won the 100 backstroke and freshman Christian Taylor won the 100 breaststroke. In the 200 medley relay a team of Barley, Taylor, Sophomores Ryan Kuhl and Kyle Stutzman tied with Derby for the win and in the 200 freestyle relay Taylor, Shively, Freshman Ryce Olson and junior Brett Young joined together receiving another first place.

“I think the team as a whole did pretty well and I didn’t do too bad individually,” said Kuhl. “However, our overall score was a little too close for comfort because we only beat Derby by 6 points.”

The swim team will compete in the state meet Feb. 21 in Topeka.