School spirit fuels long-time Maize announcer
Hailey Blurton, Ava Doyle, Areyonna Hoover, and Emma Wilks April 18, 2024

In showcasing school spirit, attending social events and rallying support for peers are key components. Media instructor Dan Loving exemplifies this by lending his voice to...

The Thirst Project hosts fundraiser

Nicole Walker hosts a fundraiser to bring awareness to The Thirst Project.

The Thirst Project, a newly established club by senior Nichole Walker, works to raise money to build wells in underdeveloped countries.

Walker first found out about The Thirst Project while attending a dance workshop over the summer and talking to a choreographer about the organization.

“Facts draw me in a lot,” Walker said. “I’m a really emotional person and facts are what astonish me and then make me emotional. He told me every 15 seconds a child under the age of five dies from a water related illness. I have two siblings, one who is three and one who is 6, and to think that every 15 seconds one of them dies made me really passionate about the project.”

From there, Walker started talking to principal Chris Botts about starting a club at Maize. Maize Central Elementary’s 5th grade teacher, Christina Simms, is also involved in The Thirst Project. Simms acts as Walker’s mentor and involves her class in the clubs awareness.

Walker held an event for The Thirst Project during  her birthday party over the summer. Walker raised over $800 from friends and family by asking for donations rather than gifts.

All of the profit made from The Thirst Project events will go toward the building of wells. Currently, the entire organization, which is based out of California, has the main goal to provide the entire country of Swaziland with clean drinking water by 2050.

Since Walker is a senior, her plans for the club in the coming years are under discussion.

“If there’s no one that is as passionate as I am here at Maize [about continuing the Thirst Project Club],” Walker said, “then it will probably be just a one year club, but if someone has visions for the next years then I’d be happy to go with them teaching them how I do it. It’s whatever Maize High makes it. Mr. Botts always says ‘high school is what you make it,’ well the Thirst Project will be whatever people make it.”