Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Leah Brown, Jessica Schrum • April 24, 2024

After earning her degree in accounting, Jessica Schrum never thought she would be teaching birth control to high school students. But that is exactly what happened when...

New School Store
April 24, 2024
MHS Mock Trial Team
April 24, 2024
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges

New School Store
April 24, 2024
MHS Mock Trial Team
April 24, 2024

Boys move into state semis with dramatic win

Fans celebrate during Maize's state quarterfinal victory Thursday at Koch Arena.
    Fans celebrate during Maize’s state quarterfinal victory Thursday at Koch Arena. Photo by Hallie Bontrager

Jacob Horsch hit a jumper with 25 seconds and the boys basketball team defeated Olathe East 44-43 in the state quarterfinals Thursday at Koch Arena.

It is believed to be the first win in the state tournament for a Maize boys team in at least 25 years and possibly in the school’s history.

The Eagles (20-3) will play Blue Valley Northwest (21-2), the top-ranked boys team in the state and defending champion, at 4:45 today for a chance to play for the title. The Maize girls play at 3 p.m.

Horsch, who missed a three-pointer, grabbed the rebound and hit a jumper from the lane to give the Eagles the lead. East then ran down the clock, but a shot with about 2 seconds to go missed. Connor Lungwitz and East’s Ezra Talbert grabbed the rebound simultaneously for a held ball. The possession arrow favored the Eagles. After a timeout, Lungwitz inbounded the ball Aaron Shaw, who knocked it away to run out the clock.

The game was close throughout, with Olathe East leading much of the way. East led 20-19 at halftime.

After the game and congratulated their opponent, the Eagles marched back over to the vocal student section to thank the students for their support.

Aaron Shaw embraces principal Chris Botts after defeated Olathe East in the state quarterfinals Thursday at Koch Arena. Photo by Hallie Bontrager
    Aaron Shaw embraces principal Chris Botts after defeating Olathe East in the state quarterfinals Thursday at Koch Arena. Photo by Hallie Bontrager
    Coach Chris Davis celebrates Thursday's victory that puts Maize in the state semifinals. Photo by Hallie Bontrager.
    Coach Chris Davis celebrates Thursday’s victory that puts Maize in the state semifinals. Photo by Hallie Bontrager.
    The Maize bench rejoices after a good play in Thursday's state victory at Koch Arena. Photo by Hallie Bontrager
    The Maize bench rejoices after a good play in Thursday’s state victory at Koch Arena. Photo by Hallie Bontrager