Maize South brings home a win in first game of the season

The Mavericks finished week one with a victory over Andover High School and three broken school records.

Sierra Tinsley, Reporter

For Maize South’s Tate McNew and Sammy Dresie, breaking several 13-year school records came easy in their first game of the year.

This past Friday, #9 ranked Maize South defeated #4 Andover 44-16 in their home opener.

“We did well working as a team even though it was a lot of people’s first time playing on a Friday night. Our team was feeling very confident and composed,” junior wide receiver Sammy Dresie said.

Dresie had three of the six Maverick touchdowns of the evening, including the receiving yards record and tying the touchdown record. 

Maize South had the halftime lead with 27-0, with the Trojans only scoring in the second half against the second-string defense.

“We played with a lot of energy, everyone did their jobs, and played through the entire game without letting up,” senior safety Jacob Gnagy said. “If there is anything to improve on it is mostly just minor errors that can be touched on throughout the week for sure.” 

Gnagy finished the game with nine tackles and four assists and led the Mavericks on the evening in solo tackles.

Sophomore quarterback Tate McNew had a coming out party, breaking two previous school records with 448 yards for five passing touchdowns. In addition, sophomore Christian McDonald pitched in with ten total tackles in his first varsity start.

The Mavericks will play Haysville Campus (0-1) at Haysville this Friday at 7 p.m. for game 2 of the season.