School spirit fuels long-time Maize announcer
Hailey Blurton, Ava Doyle, Areyonna Hoover, and Emma Wilks April 18, 2024

In showcasing school spirit, attending social events and rallying support for peers are key components. Media instructor Dan Loving exemplifies this by lending his voice to...

New job adds stress

file00099777483

Getting my first real job interview was the most utterly stressful experience I have ever had to go through. But, I’ve always been the type of person who has to be doing something constantly, so when my mom told me about a new job opening at a dress shop there was no questions asked; I was applying.

Looking back, I realize how naive I was thinking that I could walk in, give a smile, get the job and leave.

“See you next Saturday, boss.”

First off, I have no words for the amount of anxiety that passes through my head when I hear the word resume. Two pieces of paper are supposed to summarize my entire life’s work. How this happens, I have no clue.

If you’ve never had to write down everything that you’ve done, how you did it, and people that can be called to prove that you’ve done it, you should be jumping with joy.

Then after you write it, you’re stuck with this piece of paper that’s going to be the decision to if you’re actually going get this interview or if you’ll completely fail. I think I went through about seven revisions before I finally called myself crazy and stopped.

The most stressful part of the entire process was getting the call telling me that I actually had the interview, and it didn’t help that I got the call while I was getting my hair done.

“I’m sorry I can’t hear you over the blow dryer! Could I call you back?” I screamed into the phone as Katy Perry was playing in the background.

I can’t tell you how fast that my mind moved as I prepared myself for everything that could possibly be thrown at me.

“How would you describe yourself?”

“What are your strengths and weaknesses?”

“What positive aspects could you give to the company?”

Honestly, I think that I contemplated everything that they could have asked. Looking back now, I realize how OCD-ish that I was getting over a simple job interview.

A lovely, anxiety-filled, and sleepless night went by as I prepared for my interview the next day. Kudos to my expansive preparation, none of the questions that I had been expecting were asked.

At the conclusion of my interview I was told that I would receive a call the next day that would determine my fate. How fun.

It just so happened to be that the day that I was getting my call, also happened to be the night I was at the homecoming basketball game. Sitting at the game waiting for my phone to go off was one of the most nerve-racking things I’ve ever had to go through. I’ve never known how easily you could drive yourself crazy over the simplest things.

Did I make enough eye contact?

Was I sitting up straight?

Did they like my outfit?

Finally, after what seemed like years, I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I honestly can’t remember how I got from the gym to the hallway in less than two rings during a basketball game; and if you ask me how I didn’t fall over my own two feet going down a million steps I would probably answer the exact same way.

Panting, I answered my phone with the most high-pitched, shaking, and nervous voice possible.

Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to run down the stairs.

“Hi is this Kendra?”

Who’s Kendra? Am I Kendra? Wait, aren’t I on the phone…

“Umm I’m Kendra?” I answer back still panting.

I can remember so many times that I’ve stressed myself out over the simplest things. Getting a job would have to be on that list. But I think that the things that stress us out the most help us the most. They propel us into being better human beings as we learn to handle the good and the bad. There is no success without failure, but there is lots of failure without success.

And let’s just say I’m excited to be working at Dress Gallery.