Football defeats Liberal 55-0

Meredith Frahm

Senior Josh Sanders runs down the field for a touchdown late in the first half. Sanders scored three touchdowns against Liberal.

Brooklyn Blasdel, Editor

The Eagles beat Liberal last night in their first playoff game 55-0. Maize will now face their rival Maize South next week at home. 

Junior wide receiver Landon Helm said he felt confident going into the game, and he knew their hard work would pay off.

“I felt confident in today’s game,” he said. “We just had to trust what coaches were going to do and trust everyone on our team and get it done.”

Having confidence was a big factor in taking down Liberal, but the team also had to rely heavily on their defense in order to hold off their opponent.

“I was most confident in our defense,” Helm said. “That they are going to get stops for us and our o-line will give us time in the backfield so we can do what we do on offense.” 

Senior linebacker Kendall Norrod had a big play of the game early in the second quarter when he caught an interception that resulted in his first touchdown of his high school career.

“It was an awesome moment for me being my first interception that I was able to score on,” Norrod said. 

With Liberal now defeated, Maize can focus on their next playoff game against district rivals Maize South. 

“We need to bring intensity to the game next Friday and have a good week of practice to see if we can do it on Friday,” Helm said.

The team hopes everyone will come out to watch and cheer them on so they have the best chance to move forward in the playoffs.

“We need absolutely everyone to come to the game because the feeling of everyone in the stands yelling and screaming gives us that extra motivation to get the job done,” Norrod said.