Boys cross country places first at Bishop Carroll meet

Mia Hennen

Sophomore Zachary Johnson crosses the finish line placing seventh with a time of 17:36.

Ellie Stucky, Editor

The Maize High boys cross country team took first place with a score of 39 at the Bishop Carroll meet on Saturday. 

Seniors Austin Schultz and Kadyn Dohlman were the top finishers on the team. Schultz was fifth in 17:14 and Dohlman sixth in 17:30.

Dohlman said he thinks the season is going well for the team, but there is always room for improvement. He said the team has big goals they hope to see to this season.

“The team’s goals are to win league, qualify for state as a team and get a trophy at state as well,” he said.

Sophomore Zach Johnson, who placed seventh, said the team has been working hard, and he enjoys seeing all their practice pay off with a couple of wins. 

“I’m excited about how we’re doing so far,” Johnson said. “We’ve won a meet, and taken second to the No. 1 team in the state. We worked really hard over the summer, and it paid off.”

The team won first place for both their first and third meet, and placed second in their second meet. Dohlman said they have gone to practice with the mindset to improve and go out with the intention to give their best efforts.

“I personally think that our varsity team has stepped up their efforts this year,” he said. “And that our team is stronger than ever.”

Johnson said the team works together to push each other during their races to get their wins as a team. 

“So far we’ve had pretty good success in keeping together and we plan to keep it up,” he said. “Other teams have really strong individuals, but we’re good as a team.”

Zoie Ecord was the top finisher for the girls team. She placed sixth in 20:37.