Football defeats Newton 34-27 in homecoming game

Carter Jones, Reporter

Breaking through the banner, senior Jaxson Guillroy is the first to run onto the field before the second home game of the season. The Eagles defeated Newton 34-27 on Sept. 18. Guillroy said he’s savoring the opportunity to play, knowing the season could end without notice. “The saying ‘play the game like it’s your last’ is really true in our situation,” he said. “And I really take that to heart.” (Meredith Frahm)

Maize came out on top 34-27 Friday against Newton, rallying from its first deficit of the season. The Eagles improved to 3-0. 

The Eagles led for most of the game but fell behind 27-24 in the second half before rallying to win. Maize scored the final 10 points of the game.

“When the game was tied and the offense got the ball roughly 90 yards away from the end zone, it was definitely a wake up call.” senior receiver Jacob Hanna said. “Maize has been known these past couple years for winning and specifically winning at home. The offense knew it was on us to make our families and the whole city proud with one final drive.”

Senior running back Josh Sanders led the Eagles with more than 250 yards rushing. He scored two touchdowns, including the game-winner. 

“I believe we have a great future ahead of us as long as we keep improving ourselves and uniting as a team.” Sanders said.

Sophomore quarterback Avery Johnson also had a rushing touchdown for the Eagles. He had a touchdown pass to Hanna. Junior Cole Segraves made two field goals.