Maize girls basketball team makes it to state

Kyerra Snyder, Reporter

Meredith Frahm
Many of the girls going to state pose for a picture after winning substate. They will play at state on Thursday at 8:15 p.m. in Emporia.

The Maize girls basketball team placed first at substate and will be going to the state tournament against Topeka Seamen at 8:15 p.m. Thursday in Emporia.

Sophomore Kyla Frenchers transferred to Maize this year from Eisenhower and said she is glad to get the opportunity to go to state.

“It was never an option at Eisenhower,” she said. “Coming here [to Maize] and getting to go to state is so surreal.”

Frenchers was also the lead scorer for the team with 14 points and said working together as a team was what helped her achieve this goal.

“Whenever everyone gets a possession, it opens everything up for you,” she said. “As coach always says, always think hard drive.” 

These girls all believe they worked hard to achieve this goal. Losing their number one player, senior Cassie Onwugbufor, only made them work harder. 

“She has always been our number one,” Junior Olivia Wedman said. “But everything we’re doing now is for her.” 

Teacher and coach, Jerrod Handy, who has been coaching basketball for 26 years, believes that Onwugbufor gives their team a lot of spark and leadership but the other girls stepped up really well in her place.

“They all stepped up as far as our defense, enthusiasm and intensity,” he said. “They all played inspired throughout the whole game.”

Handy also believes his defense played really well and helped them win substate.

“We struggled shooting the ball,” he said. “The defense really stepped up.”

Handy said that his team deserves this because they have worked so hard the entire season. 

“They have accomplished something that has been a goal this whole year,” he said. “I am proud of them for it.”