Cross country takes on state 2019

Abby Turner, Social Media Editor

Zoie Ecord running at state cross country 2019. Ecord placed 10th at state.

This past weekend, the boys and girls cross country team competed in state at the rim rock in Lawrence. The boys team had one individual all-state top 20 placer, junior Kadyn Dohlman, placing 16th out of 104 runners. The girls team took 6th as well as having two individual top 20 placers,  Sophomore Zoie Ecord placing 10th and Senior Aria Sheldon placing 15th.

“Girls were 6th as a team, but were “unranked” by any coaches in 5A,” Cross Country coach Skeeter Rankins said. “Even by my estimates I thought they were going to be 9th or 10th; on a great day maybe 8th.  So, they ran well and I was quite proud of their efforts.”
Even though some did not medal for state, many had their personl best 5k of their cross country career.
“Zoie, Aria, Abi, and Karley all ran their lifetime best 5k, while Anna and Annie each ran 46 and 30 seconds faster on this course than they did 4 weeks earlier on the same course.  It was a great day for the girls,” Rankins said. “For Zach it was a personal record as well.”
Looking back on the experience at state as well as the 2019 season as well, Ecord said she was proud of how her team did not only at state but this season.
“The best part of state was probably having Aria and Kadyn also medal, because last year I was the only one to medal,” Ecord said. “This year I had others to share that experience with. I was super proud of not only myself but also my team.”