Football beats Hutchinson 55-14

Athletics in review: Sept. 9-13

Clayton Crockett runs the ball. Football defeated Hutchinson 55-14.

Football

Maize beat Hutchinson Friday night with an almost nonstop touchdown fest, winning 55-14 to improve to 2-0.

Within 10 seconds, the Eagles scored after Hutchinson fumbled. Kyle Haas recovered and ran it back all the way. The Eagles scored again, this time on a punt return, to make the score 14-0 before the offense ever touched the ball.

Freshman Avery Johnson contributed his first touchdown of his high school career, hitting senior K.J. Hampton on a long throw.

“It was just exciting,” Johnson said “It wasn’t the best throw, but K.J. made a good catch.”

Maize led 49-7 at halftime. 

Girl’s Tennis

The girl’s varsity tennis team played at Valley Center on Tuesday. Sophomore Kira McGrown placed 3rd in singles, and junior Madison Witt placed 5th. Juniors Riley Wertz and Jolei Hertzel placed 3rd in doubles and seniors Brook Teter and Alyssa Miller placed 5th. The team placed 5th overall. They also played at Valley Center on Saturday. Sophomore Ryan Bender placed 1st in #1 singles and freshman Kennedy Topping placed 1st in #2 singles. Juniors Katie Morgan and Halee Metts placed 4th in #1 doubles, and freshman Madelyn Shove and sophomore Rylie Becker placed 1st in #2 doubles. The team finished in 1st place.

Boy’s Soccer

Saturday Sept. 7th, boys soccer played against Salina Central. The boys defeated Salina 2-0 with freshman Topher Cannizzo and sophomore Andrew Nam scoring the two goals. The Eagles will play again tomorrow at Maize South. 

Girl’s Golf

Girls Golf went to Dodge City this week on Thursday to compete in the Dodge City High School Invitational. At the invitational Lexie Ridder tied for third but ended up taking fourth after a play off.

“I think I did well hitting my driver and irons well, I hit them very straight,” said Ridder. “I think I could have done better at putting.”Overall, the team placed fifth and will be competing next Thursday the 19th for the Eisenhower Invitational.

Volleyball

Last week on September 9th and 12th the varsity volleyball team played four spectacular games. Overall they had a good week, winning 3 of the 4 games played. On Tuesday the team played Campus and Hutch. They beat Campus 2-1 and ended up losing to Hutch 2-1. That following Thursday they had an amazing night ending with the win over Andover Central and Rose Hill  2-0. This upcoming Tuesday will be their last home game and is also senior night.