Softball splits double header, loses pitcher to injury

Lisa Woodard

Sophomore Riley Wertz high fives her coach after she scored a home run.

Brooklyn Blasdel, Reporter

Photo by Lisa Woodard

With softball season starting, players from around the school are getting excited for the games to come. With late nights, double headers, and long games, the spring sports season is always a great time for softball students in all grades. Sophomore pitcher Riley Wertz says she’s looking forward to the upcoming games.

“The teamwork and I’m just looking forward to all the people,” Wertz said. “It’s really fun.”

While players are excited, there are also worries that come along with it. Getting prepared for games is long and hard work, but the girls are ready for the challenges that come along with the victories.

One challenge that has arose this year is Wertz’s ankle injury. She injured it during their game against Eisenhower, while trying to cover third. As she sprinted to the plate, her ankle twisted, and she had to leave the game.

She is currently in a boot and crutches. While Wertz is confident that her team will overcome their challenges, there are also problems that she has to go through individually to recover.

“Worried about not being able to come back from it, like that’s my biggest worry, that whole angle thing,” Wertz said.

Tuesday night, the lady eagles played against Eisenhower and won one of their games. Next they will square off against Derby, who Wertz says is their biggest competition.

“We just need to get mentally right, I feel like that’s just going to be the biggest thing coming up against Derby.” she said.

Wertz believes the season will go well as long as the team sticks together and works hard. Although they have a young team with no seniors, there is just as much leadership and hard work in the team as there was last year.

“We need to practice, practice, practice,” she said. “Lots of team bonding, just believing in each other, hitting, and cleaning up the errors.”