Girls basketball update

Janeth Saenz

Alexis Cauthon shoots a three vs. Buhler

Ellie Stucky, Sports Editor

The Eagles had a total of three games this week. They faced Maize South, Buhler and Campus, only losing to Maize South (No. 1). Senior Alexis Cauthon knew that going into the week with three games ahead of them would be hard, but said the team prepared for it.

“We all knew going into the week with three games was going to be tough so we practiced liked it,” Cauthon said. “The teams we were going to be facing were some undefeated teams so we had to keep our minds positive and just keep getting better and beat them.”

Junior Cassie Onwugbufor said that the team did well with talking to each other and figuring out what was happening on the court.

“My team and I really communicated well throughout the week,” Onwugbufor said. “We were all each other’s hype man and went out of our way to make sure everyone was mentally prepared.”

Cauthon felt that Friday’s game against Campus was when they showed their best side and worked hard.

“Out of this week with the three games our best was probably Campus,” Cauthon said. “We shared the ball and passed it well and made a lot of shots. We also worked hard on our defense and got a lot of steals and deflections. Also when we got up our bench game out with the same energy we did and just dominated our there which was so exciting to see.”

A few things that Onwugbufor felt she improved on were communicating to her teammates and staying positive on the court.

“Our team was really focusing on being vocal towards each other,” Onwugbufor said. “I feel like I really improved on that from Monday to Friday. Also during practice we emphasized having good body language and showing only positive emotions. I personally thought I improved on that throughout the week.”