Complete brings store to retirement home

Complete students working at the store in the Reflection Ridge Retirement Community.

Kamryn Gaines

As Maize and Maize South both have their own spirit stores in their respective schools, the Complete High School has recently created one of their own in the Reflection Ridge retirement home. The store is designed to help the students learn about service and management.

“I think its just to give the residents the proper service that we all feel they need,” Complete student Bree Fowler said. “I also feel like we do it just out of the goodness of our hearts. We interact with the residents a lot, and it helps us with elderly people. It puts some youth into the whole building.”

The residents of the retirement home have said that they are very appreciative of the store as well.  

“I think the store is wonderful and has wonderful service,” resident Carol Perez said. “They’re smart and know how to think and solve problems. Overall just wonderful customer service, and everybody really likes it.”

The students said they have learned a lot from the experience of working at the store.

“I’ve learned that you have to be patient and considerate with the seniors.” student Julien Bedfort said. “They [ the residents] come to talk to us, so I just make them feel comfortable and talk to them. You’ve got to go with the flow of the store.”

Fowler also said she has learned a lot of life skills from her work in the store.

“I’ve learned a lot of communication skills by working in the store,” Fowler said. “I’ve learned how to read the residents so if they’re having a bad day I can try to brighten it. I’ve learned how to manage my time properly. I love working in the store.”