Boys Swimming takes Wichita West Invitational

Allie Choyce and Jordan Wontorski

The boys swim team took first place with 259 points at the Wichita West Invitational on Saturday. Some other attending schools were Derby, Maize South, Salina, Salina South, Wichita South and Garden City.  

Sophomore Britton Beggs took third in both the 200 yard freestyle, with a time of 2:02.09, and the 500 yard freestyle, with a time of 5:31.49.

Senior Christian Taylor placed first in the 200 yard IM with a time of 2:06.47, and in the 100 yard breaststroke with a time of 1:03.63.

Senior Jacob Ruder placed third in the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 23.20 and took first in the 100 yard butterfly with a time of 56.70.

Sophomore Bryce Nelson took second in the 100 yard freestyle with a time of 52.91.

In the 200 yard freestyle relay, Maize took first overall with a time of 1:33.76. Maize also took first in the 400 yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:31.50.

Freshman Jared Onderek said the worst thing that could happen at a meet is getting a bad start at the beginning of a heat.

“The last meet we had they had the diving board next to [the pool],” Onderek said. “I hit my hand on it and just kind of flopped in [the pool].”

Onderek said another hard part is trying to continuously improve.

Senior Brandon Ho said swimming on the team has helped him improve in more than just swimming.

“Our coach is really strict on the rules,” he said. “He’s teaching us how to be respectful to everyone around so that we become successful along later in our [lives].”

The boys next meet will be next Saturday, Jan 20 at Heights high school.