Maize News by Play newsmagazine

The week in sports: 11/27 – 12/2

Abby McCoy, Sports editor

Lizzie Bell
Junior Keely Hanson and other members of the girls basketball team cheer on the boys during their game. The girls defeated Andover 68-57, and the boys fell 75-74.

Junior Alexis Cauthon believes that the hustle the girls basketball team bought to the court Friday was a major factor in their 68-57 win over Andover.

“We always work hard no matter what,” Cauthon said. “Which puts us above many teams.”

The Eagles led the Trojans 31-22 at halftime.

Junior Halie Jones scored 19 points for the Eagles, junior Alexis Cauthon 17, freshman Sydney Holmes 12, junior Skyler Gill 8, freshman Baylee Miller 8 and sophomore Joscelyne Espinoza 4.

The girls will be on the road against Salina South on Tuesday.

The boys basketball team went into double overtime against Andover on Friday, and fell 75-74. Senior Logan Schultz said the team looked at overtime as a chance for a ‘new game’ because the score is even, and so the game is anyone’s.

“Going into double overtime definitely plays a mental role,” Schultz said. “You have to be mentally tough to continue to perform. Our defense played well for the majority of the game.”

At the half, Maize led Andover 29-17. In their first overtime, the score was tied 56-56, and going into the second overtime it was tied 61-61.

“Our mindset was to go out there and play our game,” junior Tanner Ohnmeis said. “We wanted to play at our pace and not to let them speed us up.”

The boys will be back in action away on Tuesday against Salina South.

For both the girls and boys basketball teams, this was their first game of the season.

The boys swim team took 4th overall at their first meet at the Northwest YMCA on Saturday, with 234 points.

In the 400 yd. free relay, Rielly Bannon, Bryce Nelson, Gabe Ruder and Jake Ruder placed 3rd. Gabe Ruder placed 3rd in 100 yd. back. Gage Christian and Trysten Prophet placed 12th in the 200 yd. relay. Nelson placed 3rd in the 200 yd. free, and Nolan Palmer placed 5th. Jacob Ruder placed 4th in the 50 yd. as well as Bannon placing 8th. In the 100 yd. fly, Jacob Ruder placed 4th. Nelson placed 5th in the 100 yd. free, as well as Gabe Ruder taking 11th. 200 yd. free relay team with Palmar, Christiansen, Bannon and Nick Sprowls took 6th. Palmar took 5th in the 100 yd. breast.

“We’ll get better grinding out laps and working on technique,” Gabe Ruder said. “We are lacking in skills, but we’ll hone those. Our experienced swimmers really helped the new guys.”

Boys swim will be back Dec. 14 at the Wichita-West invitational.

In wrestling, the boys took second place in their tournament, falling to Ark City in the finals.

Juniors Aidan Campbell, Jake Quiggle, senior Talon Fitzmier, and freshman Kyle Hass made the tournament team 5-0. Maize went 4-1 in duals.

This was the first tournament of the season held at Ark City. The boys will be back again on Thurs. at home in a dual against Salina South.

Abby McCoy, Co-editor-in-chief

Junior Abby McCoy is the co-editor-in-chief of Play Newsmagazine. This will be her third year on staff. She is the Junior Class President, a Be Strong...

Lizzie Bell, Photo editor

Senior Lizzie Bell has been on the Play Newsmag staff for three years. She is the Photo editor. Her interests include writing and photography. She is...