NASA employee will speak at Maize

Alaina Cunningham, Reporter

Maize graduate Michael Staab came to Maize on Thursday during first block to talk to students about about what it takes to work for NASA. Photo by Alaina Cunningham
Alaina Cunningham
Maize graduate Michael Staab came to Maize on Thursday during first block to talk to students about about what it takes to work for NASA.

To attended click here or go to the counseling office to sign up. His lecture will include what it takes for somebody to work for NASA.

Staab graduated from Maize High in 2007. After high school, Staab received his bachelor’s degree from WSU, and his Master’s degree from Georgia Tech.

He is now a Mission Control Engineer for the Cassini spacecraft and a Mission Systems’ Systems Engineer for the Mars 2020 rover at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, CA.

Staab is also the Vice President, Chief Technologist and Chief Mission Assurance Officer at Phoenix Astronautics, Inc.

He is responsible for all engineering work in Phoenix. This includes launch vehicle design, production, systems integration, mission planning and assurance, testing, launch operations and assurance, launch operations and facilities development.

In the future, according to his profile on LinkedIn, Staab dreams of becoming a NASA astronaut and his passion revolves around space exploration.

When he isn’t at NASA, Staab said on his profile, he enjoys SCUBA diving, working towards his private and glider pilot’s licenses and training for his next triathlon race

“I am excited because it worked out that what he is going to be talking about is the introduction to a project that we will be doing in our biology class,” science teacher Amy Hammett said. “What it would take to form an ecosystem on the planet. And he’s working on the Mars 2020 project. So it’s quite convenient to have students hear what’s all involved in that kind of project.”