Freshman Ryan Burkhead wants to be a Navy SEAL when he is older. Photo Illustration by Alaina Cunningham

Everybody has a story: Ryan Burkhead

April 4, 2016

Editor’s note: This is a series of stories that will spotlight Maize students chosen at random. The idea comes from reporter Steve Hartman’s series formerly broadcast on CBS News.  

Despite categorizing himself as the crazy/funny type, freshman Ryan Burkhead has wanted to be a Navy SEAL since a very young age.

“When I was like, four or five [ I ] started watching military movies and games and stuff like that,” Burkhead said.

Burkhead’s military movie obsession soon grew into a desire to join the Navy. His passion was also influenced by his military family, which consists of his brother, father, grandfather and great-grandfather.

“Most of my family has been in the military, and that’s one of the things I wanted to do when I was younger,” Burkhead said.

His brother and father are active military now. His father doesn’t get stationed anymore, but he still plays a significant role in the Navy by recruiting new members.

“Well right now my brother is in Japan, and he’s stationed out there and he’s been there for three years,” Burkhead said.

Burkhead hasn’t seen his brother since two years ago on Christmas.

“I mean, it doesn’t really affect me unless they are away and stationed somewhere,” Burkhead said. “I mean, when it does they’re away for a long time.” 

While Burkhead plans to follow in his family’s footsteps career-wise, he has other hobbies, which include hanging out with friends, playing x-box and watching YouTube videos.