Ice storm causes students to wreck in school parking lot

Maddy Rice and Paige Young

012216_0006_edit2
Senior Corbin Troyer wrecked his vehicle after losing control in the parking lot  because of the ice storm on Jan. 8. Troyer was one of many students who was affected by the ice. By Madi DeVore

On Jan. 18, students and teachers went to sleep expecting school to be canceled the next morning. There were multiple weather warnings and wrecks reported over the night and into the early hours of the morning. School was still in session.

Although main roads were easily maneuvered, neighborhood roads and the school parking lot were not.

“When I tried to get out of my neighborhood, I hit a piece of ice so my brakes wouldn’t let me stop and then I almost went into oncoming traffic,” junior Sidney Grantham said.

Senior Corbin Troyer fell victim to losing control of his truck in the parking lot that morning which caused him to strike senior Colin Brown’s car.

Troyer said he felt like the school should have been better prepared for the weather conditions in the parking lot and on sidewalks leading into the school.

“I was going slow through the parking lot and I thought I’d cut through the middle of the parking lot because there was so much traffic going through. So, I cut through and next thing I caught ice and lost control and slid into another car,” Troyer said.

Troyer hit senior Colin Brown’s vehicle. Both Troyer and Brown’s vehicles are still drivable but there is considerable damage to each.

Not salting the parking lot resulted in multiple small collisions. Grantham, Troyer and Brown said driving to school that day increased the danger for students and teachers.