Maize revamps Student of the Month program

Tori Lemon, Reporter

Senior Matthew Freese was the Student of the Month for the month of October.

Recently, teachers and staff members have started keeping an even more watchful eye on their students.

They’re not doing this to see who’s been “bad” or who isn’t following the rules. They’re looking for their next candidate for “Student of the Month.”

Social studies teacher Lori Wilbanks is one of the many teachers wanting to recognize the students here who make it a priority to go above and beyond- inside and outside of the classroom.

This tradition started last year and was revamped at this beginning of this school year.

“We restarted it this year, so we’re trying to play catch up and get everyone recognized,” Wilbanks said.

It started out with an e-mail that was sent to all teachers asking them to point out those who were the epitome of a good student.

To be nominated, the candidate must fit all the six categories of the criteria.

“The student must show academic achievement, focus on attendance, cooperation with peers and staff, leadership, consideration of others, and an outstanding attitude,” Wilbanks said.

Once all of the teachers turn in their nominations, the student with the most votes wins.

Along with having their name and achievement announced on the morning announcements, that student gets a certificate and a parking spot in the front for the whole month.

The winner and their entire family also receive free admittance to any Maize High event for the entire month as well.

Wilbanks explains that winning this not only is an accomplishment for the student, but for that student’s parents, as well.

“We thought that was a good way to get the parents who raised this great kid to get some recognition out of it too,” Wilbanks said.

Student of the Month is planned to be in action every month through this school year.