Maize moves to 5A for all sports

Justin Noble, Sports Editor

Due to the decrease in the number of students, all sports have been moved to 5A.

Maize will be a Class 5A school in all sports this year, marking the first time since the 1997-98 school year that the school has not been in 6A.

The school was moved to 5A in football last season and will remain in 5A for the next two seasons. Football is classified every two years for scheduling purposes. All other sports are classified annually.

Maize is the largest school in 5A, with 1,380 students. Kansas City Wyandotte is the smallest 6A with 1,411.

Girls basketball and boys track coach Jerrod Handy said he doesn’t believe the move will affect teams much.

“I think it’s a non-issue,” Handy said. “5A and 6A are very close anyways.”

Jeremy Bernard, a tennis and swimming assistant coach, said Maize might benefit in swimming.

“Theoretically it should improve our chances to finish higher at state,” Bernard said. “6A qualifying times are faster than 5A through 1A. So guys that are making 6A qualifying times are going to make 5A qualifying times a lot easier.”

Boys golf coach Brad Hornung, who also is a girls golf assistant, said the move might make it harder for the golf team to qualify for state.

“It will changes the teams we play against at regionals and state,” Hornung said. “Typically there is a very difficult 5A regional we could go to and typically there is a weaker 5A regional we could possibly go to.”

Wichita East is the largest school in the state with 2,292 students. Maize South is the smallest 5A school with 787 students.