Maize competes with Wichita-area schools for spirit contest

Maize is involved in multiple spirit competitions with schools in the Wichita area. Photo by Tyler Stuart.

Kayleigh Vestring, Reporter

KAKE News is hosting a contest to see which of the Wichita area schools backs their mascot the most. The contest began Aug. 31 and will end on Oct. 9.

The school with the most school spirit will win a $3,500 mascot costume along with $1,000 regional prizes for their school. KAKE will be hoping to shoot another round of commercials during the third or fourth week of the season.

“Perhaps we can make a skit for Mr. Maize to get some air time,” sports director Shane Ewing said.

Each person is limited to one vote per day. Voters can check out KAKE Sports to see how well their school is doing and where they are ranked on the spirit scale.

Schools are broken up into zones by their location in Wichita. The winner of each zone will receive $1,000 towards their school’s athletic department on Oct. 9.

“When the regional winners square off against each other in mid-October is when it gets really fun,” Ewing said.

The funds will be given for the new mascot at this time.

Chick-Fil-A is also sponsoring a competition between Derby High and Maize. Whichever school has the most sales by the first football game on Sept. 4 will receive a $1,500 check from the 21st and Maize Chick-Fil-A store at the game.

When ordering from Chick-Fil-A, mention that you go to Maize High and a note will be put on the receipt saying that you mentioned your school for no charge. The note on the receipt lets the computer keep record of how many students come from each school so that at the end of the week, they can pull the stats from the computer.