New En-Cor for failing students begins Sept. 9

Lizzie Bell, Reporter

Photo by Jesse Ellis.

Passing a class or graduating high school is important to a lot of students, but that can be hard for some as well. Administration and staff have have come up with a plan to try to help the students who aren’t passing core classes — English, social studies, sciences and math.

“This is an effort to help students realize the importance of getting passing grades and also at the same time provide help to them in a more individualized structured environment that helps put the focus on academics,” principal Chris Botts said.

Starting Sept. 9, students with an F in any core class will be moved to the library for En-Cor three days a week. English teacher Amy Jensen and math teacher Roger Pierce will lead the Core En-Cor. Botts will also help out as much as he can.

“There’s going to be designated teachers who are in there just devoted to helping students with whatever they are struggling with,” Botts said.

The teachers will be in there to work with them and help them so they can get their grades up as fast as possible. Students will spend three days in the library if their name ends up on the F list and will be able to get their grade up before the next F list comes out.

The F-list will come out every Tuesday and students on the list will be moved to the library on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to work.

“My goal is to help them get passing grades so that they can not have to repeat any classes and also graduate,” Botts said.

If students are able to get their grade up by the time the next list comes out, they will move back to their regular En-Cor class.