Maize GSA volunteers to help the homeless

Allie Choyce, Reporter

Allie Choyce
Junior Cleona Craig and Kenzie Mullen place cookies on each of the sandwiches so they can be bagged and put in a sack.

The Gender Sexuality Alliance [GSA] teamed up with #HashtagLunchbag to create a small lunch bag for the homeless around the Wichita community.

The member’s volunteered last Saturday at Joe’s Old Town Bar and Grill, where the event was being held.

“I chose to do it because people matter,” freshman Tara Herrington said. “If I can do something as simple as that to help, then why wouldn’t I?”

According the #HashtagLunchbag website, the organization was created Christmas of 2012 by a few friends in a Los Angeles apartment building.

Since then the event has been spread to over 100 cities, and led to a non-profit called the Living Through Giving Foundation.

Junior and Vice President Kenzie Mullen said GSA board members have been planning to do something to help the community for quite some time but didn’t know what they would do.

After getting a list from Wichita’s Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), Mullen said the club decided this would be the best opportunity for them to help.

“[#HashtagLunchbag] was the most sensible and realistic,” Mullen said.”Plus, its services are meant for local Wichita residents, which is important.”

GSA helped put together over 300 lunch bags for the homeless, which were passed out by other volunteers later that day.

Junior and club Treasurer junior Cleona Craig said GSA plans on doing another volunteer event sometime in the future not only because #HashtagLunchbag was a great opportunity, but it was also a lot of fun.